My ideas for Valentine’s Day this year are a mixture of gift giving and more focused on gifting an experience. I actually talked to my brother about this the other day and both of us were talking about how we prefer experiences more so than gifts at times.
For example, I hate getting flowers on Valentine’s Day. Do I hate flowers? Nope! I actually love them. I just hate that it’s one day where men feel like they have to gift a card and flowers. I’d rather have them unexpectedly. Anyone else?
So this year, these are my ideas for Valentine’s Day. Bottom line, it doesn’t have to be some huge gigantic gift. Nor does it need to be reservations at a super fancy restaurant. Not for me at least. Show me that you remembered something I mentioned I wanted recently. Order my favorite coffee and bring me my favorite donut. Heck, you can do laundry and make dinner and I’d be super excited. If you are looking for gift ideas, here are the ones I’m suggesting!
Gift Ideas for Men
What exactly do men want for Valentine’s Day? Some of us guess on this every single year. Others, like myself, have really figured it out! I used to way overthink this gift every single year. Not anymore! Here are some of my ideas for what men really want for Valentine’s Day:
- Quality time with you (Stay at home, order your favorite meal, watch a movie) Just being with you is sometimes all they want and need! In the chaos of work, kids, and other responsibilities, quiet time is sometimes the best!
- A bottle of their favorite wine. A six pack of beer. Their favorite scotch or whiskey. Maybe a set of nice glasses to go with it? Pair that with some of his favorite snacks and you’ve got yourself a great gift!
- Practice some massage techniques. Light some candles and do your thing. Also, you could always make him a reservation for a massage at a local spa if that’s more your thing.
- My husband loves a good candle. Bonus points if it’s a coffee scent.
- Candy is always a nice touch. These chocolate truffles are incredible. Probably something he wouldn’t treat himself to either. It could even be his favorite candy for the movies.
- Write him a letter. Tell him how much you love him and appreciate him. If he’s a piece of shit, tell him to do better. Just be honest!!!
- A nice beard oil is a great gesture. I actually sent this Tom Ford scent to my brother!
- Schedule a date night. I don’t think it has to be to a super fancy restaurant, but what about where you first went on a date? Or something you’ve both been wanting to do. Get a babysitter and make it happen!
PS I did ask my husband if he thought men expected gifts on Valentine’s Day and he said NOPE! I think a lot of men feel this way, but I still like to gift him a little something! Even if it is a Chick fil A lunch, ha!
I wanted to mention this because I loved the idea so much. I think this can go for your husband, your boyfriend, your wife, your girlfriend, etc. I have a friend that I follow on Instagram. Her husband gifted her 24 hours to herself. He booked her an Airbnb, made reservations for her at a spa for services and I think possibly even dinner reservations. She’s a hard working mom who deserved a break and I LOVED THIS IDEA SO MUCH.
Galentine’s Day Gift Ideas
I love showing some love to the main ladies in my life. Galentine’s Day is February 13th! Right now my best friend is a new mom (also with an almost 4 year old at home) who’s still working full-time as a teacher. I wish I could gift her a full night of sleep or a day off. What I can do is offer my time. So I offered to babysit one night so her and my bil could at least go out to dinner sans children. There’s an example of a great experience gift.
I think shopping or your girlfriends is so fun! Here are my gift ideas for the leading ladies in your life:
- A blind date with a book. Wrap up your favorite read and decorate the wrapping with some hints. I’m planning on doing this for someone this year! Some of my favorites would be The Idea of You, Dear Girls by Ali Wong, Verity, and American Royals.
- How about a new lipstick? Pillowtalk by Charlotte Tilbury is a gorgeous gift in my opinion.
- These cheapie eye masks are always in my fridge. Who doesn’t love an eye mask? If you want to splurge, choose these eye masks!
- Quite possibly the cutest chocolates I’ve ever seen in my life
- A gift card for a manicure
- An e-gift for their favorite coffee or lunch!
Gift Ideas for Kids
I love sending a little something to my nieces and nephews for Valentine’s Day. It doesn’t have to be a lot, but I think it’s nice to shower them with a little love as well. Here are some ideas for kids.
- Send them a book! I’m always encouraging reading
- Send them some cookies or candy! I don’t send a lot, but a sweet treat won’t hurt them once in a while
- For my niece, I gifted her these cute vans
- Make them their own Valentine’s Day card from you
- Order them pizza and turn on a movie! I plan on doing this with my nephew very soon! Why not make cookies together?!?
- Take them to their favorite restaurant for a little date night
- Treat them to a new puzzle (my nephew loves these)or a toy they’ve been wanting
- Make cupcakes together
- My nieces love bath bombs and almost everyone has them in-stores now
- Mess-Free from Crayola always is a hit!
My Ideas for Her For Valentine’s Day
Most of the items I suggested in my Galentine’s Day list would work for any woman in your life. However, if you’re shopping this list and you’re shopping for your wife or girlfriend, might I suggest these as well.
- Barefoot Dreams is always a winner in my opinion. We all want to cozy up in this soft cardigan while we’re at home. This is cardigan even on sale!
- A good fragrance is always a lovely idea. This new scent from Jo Malone sounds incredible.
- Perhaps a classic if you have a lover of books to buy for
- Write her a love letter
- Take her to her favorite restaurant
- Buy her drink of choice (Good bottle of champagne, wine, etc)
- Schedule her to have an afternoon (or day) to herself
- Surprise her with a weekend away
- Make her dinner
- Does she love Schitt’s Creek? This Schitt’s Creek sweatshirt would be a hit! If Rob is reading this, I’ll take this in 2xl in Heather Grey. Thanks!
- Have a movie night. Let her pick the movie. You pick the snacks that you know she’ll love.
- Flowers, but make them unique
- Tell her you love her
Also, I shared this post last year and it was a great look into what women REALLY want for Valentine’s Day. Here’s a hint, it isn’t always a physical gift! So, what ideas for Valentine’s Day do you have?
Leave a Reply